How to Choose the Best Cars for College Students
It’s common for college students to need transportation when they go off to school. Many live off-campus, have jobs and want to have the freedom to drive themselves wherever they need to go. Since most college-aged kids don’t have an unlimited budget, even if they are getting help from their parents, it will take careful thought to select just the right vehicle. There are numerous affordable and reliable cars for college students, but parents and their children will need to know how to find them.
Important Factors to Consider
The options may seem endless when shopping for cars for college students, but there are a number of factors that are important to take into consideration. The price alone shouldn’t be the only determinant parents and students use when deciding which vehicle to purchase. To help narrow down the choices as much as possible, they should be sure to focus on the following aspects:
- Gas Mileage: It’s essential for college students to have a car that gets good gas mileage, especially if they will be commuting a long distance to school and work or driving back and forth to visit family and friends at home. The more miles per gallon a vehicle gets, the less they will have to worry about budgeting for gas.
- Cost of Ownership: The actual cost of owning a car goes far beyond its initial price tag and fuel. It’s essential to keep in mind that expenses will also include insurance, regular maintenance, and repairs. Some brands are less expensive to insure and have parts that are cheaper to fix or replace. If cost of ownership is a concern, it’s best to seek out vehicles that are on the more economical side.
- Safety Rating: Of course, safety should be a number one priority when choosing cars for students. Because accident statistics tend to be higher for younger, more inexperienced drivers, it’s vital to look for vehicles that have high safety ratings. It’s also important to inspect cars to make sure they have sufficient safety features.
- Reliability: Regardless of how far a student will be traveling to get to class or a job, they will need a vehicle they can rely on to get them there every day. Reliability ratings allow car shoppers to view a history of issues that certain cars have been reported to have, so they can steer clear of models that have shown some serious problems.
- For an unbiased opinion, check Carfax.
Best Makes and Models to Shop For
Below are some of the best cars available on the market because of their style, functionality, dependability, and cost-effectiveness. All of these makes and models can conveniently be found on the lot at Peters Auto Mall.
- Kia Soul
- Honda Fit
- Nissan Versa
- Hyundai Elantra
- Chevrolet Cruz
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Accord
The Best Cars for College Students are at Peters
When shopping for a vehicle, it may help parents and students to make a list of what’s most important to them before visiting the dealership. Our staff at Peters Auto Mall will be happy to review it and guide customers through our large inventory of suitable cars for students to find the one that best fits their criteria.